What should we wear?
One of the questions I’m asked the most is, “What should I wear?” There is no correct answer, but I have a few suggestions that may help with your outfit selections.
- Try to coordinate outfits without looking overly “matchy.” Avoid wearing same colors and instead, find a color palette you love and piece together items from that palette that are complementary to one another.
- Add accessories to pump up your ensemble. A hat, scarf, and a necklace can give an outfit the right amount of punch and provide great pops of color.
- Wear clothes that are fashionable and functional. Kids will need to move around and fussy clothes that they’re not used to can be frustrating.
- Try to have only one patterned outfit for every three people for family shoots. Then dress everyone else with color coordinating looks. Too many patterns creates a busy and confusing look.
- Stay away from white or character themed tennis shoes, shoes with bulky soles, or any shoe that takes away from the child and outfit. Solid color shoes and boots are always best.
- When dressing your kids, steer clear of shirts with large brand names/characters on them. (Mickey Mouse, Frozen, Transformers…)
- Avoid items that distract from the scene. White socks, sunglasses, cell phones in pockets, and white t-shirts to name a few!
- Pay attention to nails! People often forget to trim and clean their nails before portraits are taken, and you don’t want them to distract from the people and faces being photographed!
- Layers are fantastic for boys and for girls. Add in the layers (jackets, vests, leggings, and tights) and accessories (hats, scarves, necktie or bowties, and headbands) to give your kids’ outfits a stylized look.
See images below for image examples of what to wear!